Product successfully added to your shopping cart


There are 0 items in your cart. There is 1 item in your cart.

Total products
Total shipping  To be determined
VAT £0.00
Continue shopping Proceed to checkout


Some useful contact information for those affected by floods

This information should be read in conjunction with the Environment Agency’s leaflet Flooding: Advice for the Public available HERE.

If Your Property Has Been Flooded

There are many incidents across the county from vehicle crashes to building collapses. Please do not call 999 to ask for flood water to be pumped from your property as the Fire and Rescue Service are unlikely to be available.

You should first contact your insurance company who can help arrange for a private company to assist you. In addition, there has to be at least six inches of water before pumping is possible and there must be a suitable place for water to be pumped to.


If you do not know your insurance details, the Association of British Insurers has a website that offers advice, Your bank may also be able to tell you who you make payments to.

Alternative Accommodation

The most comfortable option available is likely to be to find temporary accommodation with friends and family or to contact your insurance company to see if they will cover other temporary accommodation. If you have nowhere else to go, contact your local Council (see contact details at the end of this page) as emergency shelter may be possible.

Gas and Electricity

To report a power cut or concerns about the safety of their equipment, contact UK Power Networks, 0800 783 8866 or 01243 50 8866. To contact by email please go to

For any gas emergency phone 0800 111 999.


Your water supplier will vary depending where you live:

Food Safety Advice

If you have been in contact with flood water or any debris, wash your hands thoroughly before handling any food.

Food Standards Agency, 020 7276 8829,

Your District Council’s Environmental Health team may also provide advice. Information on contacting these can be found at the bottom of the page


Your local council will be making normal rubbish collections. Please do not leave loose items out for collection. If necessary, you should contact your local council to arrange a bulky refuse collection. You can also take most domestic waste to a household waste recycling centre.

It might be worth checking with your insurance company before you dispose of anything you could be claiming for.


If you have a business that has been affected, the Business Emergency Recovery Group is part of Business in the Community, a business-led charitable organisation that may be able to assist you.

Consumer Advice

Trading Standards approved businesses can be found on Consumers can get advice from Trading Standards via the Citizens’ Advice Consumer Service on 08454 040506

If you need help with access to a computer or a phone, your local library or Gateway may be able to help. Gateways may also be able to give you more advice on many of the local council services.

Environment Agency

The Environment Agency 03708 506 506 can provide lots of useful information. They also run a service called Floodline where (amongst other things) you can sign up to be notified if your home or business is at risk of flooding 0345 988 1188 Register With Floodline Warnings Direct.

Local Councils

You can find information on contacting your local council HERE.

© 2015 The Flood Defence & Recovery Company